Thursday 1 December 2016

Drawing objects in the studio

The workshop's had rotated back to John's drawing session, and today's task was to draw objects that had been placed at random throughout the studio. These objects ranged from large decorative 3D letters, to bubble wrap and ikea cardboard boxes. I started by focusing on one of the letters from the typographic photo below, I sketched a few other letters but my main drawing from this set was the 'R'. It has small type on is the style of a newspaper and I looked into shadowing, using only a pencil and a fine liner for the main shape. I was sat at an angle from the object so I didn't catch the view from straight on, so the shadowing differentiated. 
The second table I drew at contained large boxes that I mainly focused on. I took parts of type from each box, using colour in my sketches too. I really tried to maintain the style of fonts on parts of the boxes, whether it was sans serif or not. Once I had drawn out a few sections from the boxes I decided to draw the full shape of stacked cardboard boxes. I sketched the shape and angles, making sure each line was as straight and perfect as I could get without using a ruler. I added company logos and also a few shades of shadow with my pencil. I do believe that this drawing went really well using only my vision of the different placements, no guide or ruler. 

This session was different to the previous drawing lessons I have had, rather than drawing our views, I really focused on smaller objects, I think this type of perspective works better for me, rather than drawing on larger scales.