Thursday 8 December 2016

Motion of Charaters

Below are two animations I created, the top being my first hand in, the second being my finalised piece. In today's After Effects with Sara, our aim was to create a video using the vector character we had made previously in our own time. Unfortunately, I did not save my original character, so during the beginning of the lesson, I recreated the elephant I had chosen to use. The shapes were simple and the colours were not realistic, however the aim of the session was to move the character in a ten second video, so using a detailed illustration would of been too hard for me as a beginner to the programme. 

As you can see in my first attempt, I have placed the character on the right hand side of the animation, and used a block colour for the background as I fell behind due to the recreation of the elephant. I designed the elephant in illustrator, and made sure that parts of the body such as the tail, ears and trunk, were on different layers to the main body - this was so I could move them separately once imported onto my timeline in After Effects. Once imported into the composition on the left side, I dragged them down to the timeline at the bottom, I could then adjust placement, movement, and timing using the tools given. Below is a screenshot of the tools and setting I could use for each part of the elephant. These settings were all new to me so it took me a while to go through each tool and learn how to use each one to the best of its ability. 


Once I had adjusted the movement of a few parts of the elephants body, the session was over and I rendered my animation. The finished product is shown below, a piece I am not so happy with, however in my own time I could improve upon. 


Elephant Animation not finalised from Emily-Beth Phillips on Vimeo.

Below is the finished video that is also uploaded onto Vimeo. As you can see I designed a new background in illustrator, imported the illustration in and placed it behind the elephant in the timeline. I have also included an audio in this animation. I imported the track once downloading it from Free Music Archive, and dragged it into the timeline also. I didn't quite like how the track cut off at the end of the ten seconds. I researched how to add in a 'fade in' and 'fade out', to use for my own video. Below is a screenshot of the audio, as I changed the levels and added key frames for the changes to appear. I am quite happy with my finishing video, as this is the first time I have created a motion attraction and also added an audio using the sound levels for the fading effects.


Elephant Animation from Emily-Beth Phillips on Vimeo.