Monday 26 September 2016

First Things First: A Design Manifesto

Anna's seminar this afternoon was associated with the First Things First 2000 Manifesto, it was the first seminar of the year. To begin with, a manifesto is a verbal declaration of intention or motive, this was new to me, however I can now see myself generating a lot of manifestos that will help me during university and my future. 
Ken Garland, the writer of First Things First 2000, relates his manifesto to graphic design, most of which I agreed with or 'slightly' agreed with, however the inflection of the written piece was quite negative overall. We were asked to discuss, debate and help each other cross out anything we didn't believe in or agree with, circle anything we didn't quite understand, and leave the sentences, phrases, or even single words that we understood and did agree with. 
Below is a copy of First Things First, with a few notes I jotted down throughout the seminar. The highlighted green paragraph I did agree with, it was very positive. I also got a few more positive points from the manifesto as well as the negatives, including subvert expectation and embrace chance.