Thursday 19 January 2017

Introducing the Second Brief

My first Foundation Studio Practice is now complete, and today, our second brief of the first year was introduced to us by Rob. A selection of three competition briefs are available to us, they invite us to work with a clear industry focus upon graphic design or animation in a professional context. This project will enable my practice to become outward facing and contextualised in relation to one of the industry briefs that have been made available.

Over a period of 6 weeks, I will research, evaluate and define a range of issues, and discuss these in relation to the production of a body of visual work. I will produce work that communicates my ideas and applies appropriate aesthetic and technical awareness. I will produce background material in the form of research and concept development, to clearly support my final outcome. The briefs are listed below, the penguin student design award being the chosen brief I am taking part in.

Penguin Student Design Award 2017
This brief is our suggestion for Graphic Design students.

RSA Student Design Awards 2017

Brief #12 Moving Pictures
This brief is our suggestion for Animation students.


ISTD Student Assessment 2017
Project 1 - Banned Books
This brief is our suggestion for Graphic Design & Animation students.

The Penguin Random House Student Design Award is an opportunity for students interested in pursuing a career in design to experience real cover design briefs first hand. Below is a screenshot I took from the Design Award website, showing three different books that I can design, including an adult fiction, an adult non-fiction and a children's cover. I will start my research by looking into all three books, comparing and explaining why my chosen cover would be the best suited for my foundation studio project.