Thursday 16 February 2017

Typography Transcript Development

This weeks Process and Production session was back with John, using our physical studio module to manually create and construct a new font. The focus was introduced to us during the last session, watching type related videos, and creating shapes/fonts from inspiring reference images. I created three designs that used elements from the images printed out for us, and today, from these fonts, I produced the full alphabet using the same techniques and styles. 

I used lined paper and pieces of graph paper, to keep my letters tidy and the same size. I started with the rigid, straight lined font; this was my favourite from the last session. I created a rough look of the full alphabet, that I can come to next time and develop/tidy/finalise. I also produced the full alphabet for the style using small triangles on top of the contemporary styled, lower case font. I don't like this design as much, I feel as though it wouldn't be as useful and popular as my first outcome.

I struggled producing a third design, because my third style I created in the last session, wasn't worthy of re-doing. I looked again at a few of the referencing images, to then come up with a font using circular lines, with double lines on the corners of each letter. This would be a good font to develop further and finalise, I feel like letters would be more consecutive and flow better together.

I am happy with each style, and look forward to taking one of the fonts to re-design, making sure measurements, components and edges are all identical.