Thursday 13 October 2016

Assignment Brief Hand Out

I was given the brief today for the essay set in the Theory as Practice module. There was a lot to read through and get my head round but once I scanned the pages, as a class we went through the brief and essay questions. 

The essay questions:

1) Discuss the effect of subcultures on influential graphic designers.
2) In what ways have the prequel or sequel influenced contemporary graphic design practices?
3) Brand versus Anti-brand. How have graphic designers worked with or against brands, and to what effect?

I highlighted a few words in my brief that I thought I needed to expand upon or research. For example, I did not understand a subculture. Once researching, I found out that a subculture is basically a culture inside a larger culture. It branches off the mainstream, and embraces its own unique style. James explained to me that with this first question, I can take whichever path I want to, there are no demands as to what I talk about whether it be fashion, music, or a hobby of mine such as dancing. I will be able to talk about past times when my chosen subjects was either frowned upon or not as popular as it is in today's society. 

Each question was briefly discussed in the seminar and we explored ideas that would help each student answer their chosen essay question. I feel as though question one would be the best question for me, it provides such a broad topic, leaning me towards exploring different routes related to personal interests. However I do think I understand the first question more than I do questions two and three, and this is possibly the reason why I am favouring discussing the effect of subcultures. 

Question two does allow me to explore an era, and how a subject I choose may effect the modern day designers or what the designers of today have taken from the past. It is another broad question but it leans more towards using comparisons that I may not want to use as part of my essay structure. 

Finally question three is all linked to branding, and how today's society groups different brands, expressing competition. I don't believe this question is as broad as the top two, however brand identity is my most enjoyable subjects in Graphic Design. I am hoping the next few weeks of research and seminars help to make a clear judgement and plan of which question I would like to take ahead.