Friday 7 October 2016

Workshop: Species of Space

Today's workshop followed on from the seminar on mapping and perspectives, I had yesterday. I worked individually through the morning, creating mini sketchbooks, each containing four aerial views of the same image (a memory; for example a holiday, trip, family).  The views progressively zoomed out, relating to the video shown in yesterday's seminar. It was a challenging activity judging the distance between you and the object you were drawing, but looking at objects differently from different view points will really help towards my assessed concertina. I can create thumbnails from sections of objects/views whether it be zoomed into the texture, or zoomed out for a larger scaled image. 
After my mini sketches were completed, I worked with a group of other students, using our ideas together to create one large map of one another's memories. The long piece of paper shown below includes key places from the individuals in my group, however we did not use an aerial view for each drawing. I created the New York skyline, also drawing a yellow taxi that drives forward onto the next destination, Paris. As you can see, the large swirl that covered the entire length of our sketches, is part of a rollercoaster. The rollercoaster idea originally came from my mini sketchbook, representing my day trip to Alton Towers. 
The end result shows a mini fictional world containing sections of everyones memories. This piece of work is exactly what I need to produce for when I start my assessed sketchbook. Different areas, with links between every sketch.