Thursday 20 October 2016

One True Story

My upcoming assignment is coming up shortly, so today's seminar gave me the chance to practice my essay skills. Before the seminar I collected two books from the library that related to a question from the listed essay topics. However before these books came into use, we were presented with a quote from Ernest Hemingley which said, 
"Do not worry. You have always written before and you will write now. All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know."
We were then shown a picture of a bear sat on a chair and we had to write one true sentence, followed by the same sentence but with new details added. 
For example: 'The bear was sat on a chair' then changed to 'The not so grizzly bear, sat on a plastic chair in disappointment.'


This exercise was then used in the same way for the books we had collected. The technique was applied to introduce new ideas and extent my writing. It has allowed me to understand how to start off with a simple sentence, but then turning it into a short paragraph with a good amount of detail.